Friday, October 3, 2014

Waiting for Conquest


 
I got an email last night telling me that my copy of Warhammer 40000 Conquest is on its way to my doorstep and can't get here fast enough.
 
I've burned out on just every type of card game for years now. Having tried some Sentinels of the Multiverse and the DC Comics Deck Building Game allowed me to break out of that slump a little bit.
 
I was completely unfamiliar with Fantasy Flight's living card game format of games and distribution, but I love the Warhammer 40K setting. I looked for previews and any pre-release reviews and found that I liked what I was seeing. Once the rules were made available I read through them and found the game easy to learn and no lengthy set up.
 
There two things I need to mention on the living card game format I need to comment on. The core starter set comes with Warlords for seven different factions. You get everything you need in order to play with a friend. However, to fully customize your deck, you're going to need another 2-3 copies of the starter box. I see that as both a good and bad thing. Good because you're dripping hundreds upon hundreds of dollars for booster packs or boxes or boosters, but you, you're friends and any other local players are still having to drop another 80 bucks into the game. I'm not sure how that works with the deluxe expansions. the monthly war packs though are a very nice improvement from the typical "booster' pack. With the war packs you get a full play set of cards featured in that month's release. I'm worried that my friends and are going to love this game while not being able to get the extra starter boxes we need.
 

 
In regards to the factions I'm super excited to try out the Dark Eldar and equally eager to see the Necrons when they eventually get released. Lilith Hesperax had better get a Warlord card. I am desperately hoping that the Adepta Sororitas/Sisters of Battle get added as their own faction later. In all honesty I'd be happy just to see them scattered throughout the other Imperium factions as well.
 
 
The first war pack will feature the Space Wolf Ragnar Blackbane. The Space Wolves aren't my cop of tea but I have a friend who's interest in this game may peak due to Ragnar. The second features the Plaguefather for Chaos Space Marines, the third introduces Commander Shadowsun an Ethereal for the Tau and I see that the fourth is an ork.
 
I'm incredibly tempted to hunt down a copy from one of the local hobby shops today after work. Must have willpower.
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment